Financial Requirements for the K1 Fiancée Visa

by admin on October 14, 2009

In order to petition for a US K1 visa, certain financial requirements must be met.  Without proof of adequate financial resources to sponsor one’s fiancée/fiancé, the K1 visa could be denied. 

Form I-134 is the Affidavit of Support for an alien fiancée that must be submitted with the application for a K1 visa.  The I-134 is to be completed by the sponsor in order to assert that the fiancée/fiancé will not become a “public charge” upon entry to the US and that the sponsor has sufficient income or financial resources to ensure that his/her fiancée/fiancé will not become dependent on public services such as welfare. 

Supporting evidence required for the I-134

The Affidavit of Support requires evidence of financial resources through the submission of: a) statements from financial institutions in which one has deposits; b) statement from one’s employer detailing nature of employment and salary; and if self-employed, c) copy of tax return or commercial rating concern, d) details regarding any bonds owned. 

After filing form I-134 the sponsor will become financially responsible, under certain circumstances, if the fiancée/fiancé becomes a public charge.  The agency that provides this assistance may be able to file a claim for reimbursement against the sponsor in order to recover the full cost of any benefits that have provided to the visa beneficiaries. 

Under what circumstances should Form I-134 be used?

The Affidavit of Support I-134 is primarily for K1 visa applications.  For those that are applying for permanent residency, Form I-864 is required.  When filing for a K3 marriage visa application, neither the I-134 nor the I-864 is required because the latter will be filled out once the spouse adjusts his or her status in the US. 

For the I-864, the sponsoring US citizen must prove that its financial funds and assets are 125% over the poverty line.  But under Section 212(a)(4) of the INA,  the I-134 requires proof that the sponsor’s income is 100% of federal poverty guidelines.  There are also special financial requirements for active duty military personnel and for residents of Florida and Alaska.

{ 2 comments… read them below or add one }

Shalonda Setchell March 30, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Hi! This is my first time on your blog. Got some good info here. I am trying to track down a rumor I keep running into. I have heard the Chinese military ran a clandestine lab near Stung Treng. They were supposedly testing some hallucinogenic drug like acid that made you think you were having an out of body experience. Anyone have any info about it?

nicholas April 27, 2011 at 5:04 pm

i have $100,000 in the bank in stocks bonds checking…income of $1800 a month…gold silver &20000…no debt…But, im on fed.workers comp…enought

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: